Thursday, June 7, 2012

Unexpected Library Adventure

I have been wanting to go the library FOREVER. I came out of there with 9 CDs and 5 books. I would say it was a pretty successful adventure. 
nothing excites me more than a stack of books and CDs
ALBUMS 
1. Ben Harper's Both Sides of the Gun. Ben Harper is a musician that I do not listen to as much as I would like. He's a feel good, rainy day type of artist. I am quite excited that I finally have some of his music. 

2. Mat Kearney's Nothing Left to Lose. There are a few hits from Kearney's other album Young Love that I really enjoy. I am glad that I now have the opportunity to feel out some of his other work. 


3. of Montreal's Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? of Montreal is a band that I constantly hear word of, but I have never been able to experience them for myself. I have listen to the album one time through since I checked it out and I enjoyed their eclectic sound. They are similar to Animal Collective in a *slightly* tamer way. 


4. Van Morrison's Veedon Fleece. I suppose I needed some old school in the mix. I am currently reading Steve Jobs' biography, and Morrison is mentioned every now and again. It was fresh on my mind so I thought I would borrow it. 


5. Fleet Foxes' self titled album. Love them. Just a good solid sound. They are always coming on 91.1 KLSU which is in my opinion the best college station. 


6/7. Modest Mouse's Moon & Antarctica and We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank. Love them once again. Modest Mouse rocks.


8. Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robot. This CD is the beholder of one of my absolute favorite songs. Do You Realize?? is up there with the greatest love songs ever written despite it being not your "typical" love song. If you haven't listened to it stop reading this post and listen here!


9. Jeff Buckley's Live at Sin-e. My situation with this throwback is similar to the Morisson album. I just don't listen to him enough. 


BOOKS
(all titles are links to see a summary)
1. The Greatest Show by: Michael Downs. I will start this off by saying I loved Water for Elephants just like many others. This book is similar in a few ways, mainly because they are both about circuses. I immediately wanted to read it after reading the back. 

2. Groupon's Biggest Deal Ever by: Frank Sennett. Who doesn't love Groupon? Also, who wouldn't like to hear about the "greatest deal ever"? On the cover it says: "The inside story of how one insane gamble, tons of unbelievable hype, and millions of wild deals made billions for one ballsy joker." You know a book will be good when on the cover the adjective "ballsy" is used. 

3. Girlchild by: Tupelo Hassman. The title struck me. It made me think of Jungle Book and the use of the term "man cub". This book is a darling little tale of a girl and her love for girl-scouting without actually being a girl scout. 

4. Sound by: T. M. Wolf. The first thing that caught my eye about this beauty is the size. It is not the size of your average novel. It is larger and closer to a square. Also the way the inside is laid out is also quite interesting. It is a book about an average guy. It looked intriguing and different. 

5. French: Step by Step by: Berlitz. We have to French students coming to stay with us in a few days, and I am taking French next semester. I have passion for the language that I can't what to kindle. 

I hope y'all enjoy my library adventure as much as I did! 


smiles & sunshine 
DF

No comments:

Post a Comment